Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Divided Household

Sanctified Tar Heel, that me.  And I live in a divided household, only not the kind you might think.  Have you ever seen one of those houses that has a flag out front with two school mascots on it?  Part might be red and have a wolf on it and the other part might be blue and have a ram on it.

My wife and I have an agreement.  I am a Redskin by marriage and she is a Tar Heel by marriage.  I agree to be a Redskin fan.  She agrees to be a Tar Heel fan.  She embraces my lifelong love of Tar Heel basketball.  My father went to UNC and we grew up going to Tar Heel basketball and football games.  My wife grew up outside of Washington D.C. and grew up following the Redskins.  Sunday football in her house was a religious experience.  So I live in a divided household.  It is a household divided by sport and divided by team.


We are also united.  We both are Tarheels.  We both are Redkins.  I complain equally about Tarheel coaching and Redskin ownership.  I lament the end of football season for her and she endures Carolina's inevitable post season demise with me.  For me, this is a glimpse of what it means to be a partner.  Being a partner means sharing in one another's pains, joys, triumphs and tears.  One of the greatest experiences I can have as a partner is when my wife shares with me about a client who says she is the best photographer they have ever had and they are telling all their friends about her business.  If she's happy, I'm happy.  Divided household?  Well, not really, united housed is more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment